When it comes to making sure their roofs stay in good condition, the things most homeowners worry about include harsh weather, branches falling from nearby trees, and regular wear. While these are all valid concerns, they fail to account for the extensive damage local beasties can inflict on a roof.
Needless to say, having to call in roof replacement services because animals have ruined their shingles is not anyone’s idea of a good time. Taking the right countermeasures is essential to preserve your roof in Ellicott City, MD, without harming the local wildlife.
In previous articles, we explored some unexpected facts about roofs and dived into the long and incredible history of roofing. Now, we’ll provide you with a few time-tested tips on how to keep your roof critter-free in a humane and effective way. If critters aren’t a problem for you but birds are, you can also check out our guide on how to keep birds off your roof. Read on.
What kind of animals live on roofs?
The only thing worse than animals that loudly run over your roof while you’re trying to sleep are animals that do so stealthily, keeping you completely oblivious to their presence until after they’ve already damaged your roof.
Critters frequently found on roofs include:
Other animals to look out for include birds, wasps, and bees. If you find that your wildlife problem is outside your ability to address it on your own, don’t hesitate to seek help from local authorities.
How do you keep raccoons and squirrels off your roof?
If critters have been visiting your roof for a long time, it’s recommended that you schedule a roof inspection with a trusted roofing company. The professionals will be able to find and address any damages caused by the local wildlife and propose preventative measures for the future.
Here’s how to keep the local wildlife off your roof:
- Trim the trees around your house. This will make it difficult for animals to reach your roof by climbing over the surrounding trees.
- Remove any food sources in your yard that could attract animals. Keep pet food containers indoors and get a garbage bin with a latch.
- Empty gutters aren’t overly attractive to animals, so make sure to clean yours on a regular basis.
- Trim vines and other plants on the exterior walls of your home. This will keep them from serving as a “ladder” for squirrels and raccoons.
- If you have a chimney, examine it regularly for signs of nesting animals.
- Purchase a non-toxic animal repellent and apply it in accordance with manufacturer guidelines. Ultrasonic outdoor pest repellers are especially effective.
- Install squirrel guards on any nearby poles that a squirrel might use to climb onto your roof.
- Bird feeders tend to attract other animals as well, so either remove them or place them further away from your roof.
- Check your attic for signs of animal activity. If you find any, look for entry points and close them off to keep critters out.
Who provides expert roof replacement services in Ellicott City, MD & across the Mid-Atlantic?
As a long-standing roofing company in Ellicott City and other communities throughout Maryland, Virginia, and New Jersey, Nu Look Home Design is your strongest ally on the path to an efficient, long-lasting, and eye-catching roof.
You can count on our expert team to quickly show up at your location regardless of whether your property is situated right next to the Ellicott City station or in one of the neighboring communities. Contact us and schedule your on-site consultation today.