We’ve previously written about the telltale signs of a failing roof and discussed the effects bad weather can have on a roofing project. Now we’ll answer some common questions homeowners in Fairfax, VA, and other cities in the Mid-Atlantic frequently have about the asphalt shingle roofing installation process. Keep reading to learn more.
What are the steps to roofing a house?
The first thing experienced roofers do before getting to work is bring in all the necessary materials and equipment. They will also park a trash bin close to the house so they can dispose of any old shingles and other waste right from the roof.
If you’re replacing an existing roof, your roofers will also have to tear off the old roof before installing the new one. They will also pound old nails flat (or remove them entirely) and make sure to cover your landscaping with tarps to prevent accidental damage from falling debris while the tear-off takes place.
Once that’s done, most roof installations follow these steps:
- Install the drip edge. Although this may not be legally required, putting up a metal drip edge makes the roof look better, keeps shingles from curling over the edges, and protects your fascia boards from dripping water.
- Place a self-adhered ice & water barrier. This is necessary to protect the new roof against ice dams and windblown moisture.
- Install a synthetic underlayment as per manufacturer instructions and local building codes.
- Place shingle fasteners 6.1/8 inch up from the bottom edge of each individual shingle and a single inch from each end.
- Lay down the shingles by following manufacturer guidelines. Start at the bottom of the roof and work across and up. This will seamlessly blend shingles from one bundle into the next and reduce any normal shade variation.
- Valley construction. Depending on the location and shape of the roof, the valley can be open, woven, or closed-cut.
- Install corrosion-resistant flashing in places where roof planes touch chimneys or vertical sidewalls.
- Perform ridge and hip application using appropriate Hip & Ridge shingles that best complement the rest of the roof.
Can I replace my own roof?
It depends. Do you have a background as a roofer and access to the specialized equipment necessary to safely and effectively install a new roof? If you’re tearing down an existing roof, do you know how to properly recycle old asphalt shingles and other roofing materials?
If the answer to the above questions is no, then it’s strongly advised that you refrain from attempting a do-it-yourself approach. Not only is any type of roof work inherently dangerous, but improper installation can also severely damage your property, cause expensive problems down the road, and make your home less likely to find a buyer if you decide to sell it.
For the above reason, it’s highly recommended that you outsource your roof installation to a reputable roofing company in Fairfax and the surrounding communities.
Where in Fairfax, VA, and the rest of the Mid-Atlantic can I book a dependable asphalt shingle roofing service?
We offer a host of benefits to our clients, including premium-quality materials, extensive discounts and warranties, and even same-day roof installations. Our expert team will happily update your property with a state-of-the-art asphalt shingle roof while you attend to your other obligations or take an afternoon stroll by the Fairfax High School with your family. Book your on-site consultation today.