7 Signs Your Roof Is at the End of Its Life
It’s hard to overstate the importance of having a high-quality, dependable roof. It protects your property from the elements, helps keep you warm and comfortable at night, and it has a huge effect on the aesthetics and value of your home or premises.
However, like any other part of a building, a roof is subject to regular wear. As it nears the end of its expected service life, it will start to fail and become progressively less efficient. Eventually, calling in roofing installers to replace the roof at your property in Cherry Hill, NJ, will become the only sensible option.
But how can you tell when your roof is ready to be replaced? In the following article, we’ll show you how to do just that by exploring 7 common signs of a failing roof. Keep reading to learn more.
When should you put on a new roof?
As with any other part of your home, you should occasionally give your roof a visual inspection and note any damage, wear, or other problems you may encounter.
Here are 7 signs it’s time to invest in a new roof:
- Obvious water damage such as patches of decayed wood, musty smells, puddles of water in the attic, and so on, all indicate major leaking.
- Parts of the roof structure are sagging. This is a frequent side effect of water damage. Gently press at the sagging spot with your hands or a broom handle. If they feel soft or wet to the touch, you’re likely dealing with moisture damage.
- Decaying shingles. Cracked, rotting, missing, curled, or misaligned shingles are an indication that your roof is in a bad condition.
- Streaks and stains. Leaky roofs commonly exhibit stains and streaks on their underside or exterior.
- Roof boards are letting in daylight. If streams of light are entering your attic through the cracks or holes on the underside of the roof, that’s a telltale indication the roof is leaking severely.
- Moss or algae infestations. Although these won’t directly damage your roof and its underlying structure, they can hurt the curb appeal of your property and be extremely difficult to remove.
- There are shingle granules in the gutters. This is a sign that your shingles are falling apart, which inevitably exposes your roof to additional rotting and water damage.
Should I replace my roof if it’s not leaking?
It depends on its condition. If your asphalt roof is close to 20 years old and/or has suffered significant wear or damage that can’t be easily fixed, it’s generally recommended to replace it rather than keep investing in a roof that’s already past its prime.
Likewise, if you can get your insurer to cover all or most of the cost of a new roof or otherwise have access to attractive financing options, it’s better to do so than to continue using an old roof that may fail in the near future.
Where can I hire dependable roofing installers in Cherry Hill, NJ & across the Mid-Atlantic?
Established in 2003, Nu Look Home Design is a respected provider of roofing, solar, siding, window, door, and gutter installation and replacement services that operates across Cherry Hill and other cities in New Jersey, Virginia, and Maryland.
Whether you’re looking for a reputable team that can help you finance your new roof or improve other aspects of your property, we are the company to call. Our expert roofers are able to replace most residential roofs in a single day, which ensures minimal interruption to your schedule.
Contact us today and enjoy a leisurely afternoon at the Cherry Hill Mall while our team attends to your roofing needs.